ANTECHAMBER OF ALCOVA

1_02_sala_anticamera_alcova1

The first of the interiors refurbished after 1675, the alcove antechamber, retains its stucco decoration comprising a cornice connecting walls and vaults with foliage festoons, and the rich frame around a fresco of Flora, with leaves, winged heads and shell valves. The room displays 17th and 18th-century canvases and furnishings acquired by the municipal collections in the last century: three allegories by French painter Auger Lucas (Paris, 1685 – 1765); the pair of landscapes with hunters by August Querfurt (Wolfenbuttel 1696 – Vienna 1761); four still lifes by Octavianus Monfort (documented 1646 – 1696), a miniature painter from Monferrato. The pair of carved, gilt wooden consoles are of Piedmontese manufacture, while the roll-top chest of drawers in walnut and ebony veneered wood comes from a Lombard workshop (1750 – 1775).