ASTI IN XVII CENTURY. ARTISTS AND PATRONS IN A BORDER CITY
12 April – 28 September 2014
The project of protection of the district ( promoted by the Savings Bank Foundation of Asti with the partnership of the Government Department responsible for monuments and other treasures in Piedmont and the dioceses of the province of Asti ) goes on with a research about paintings of the XVII-XVIII centuries in Asti; the deepened ( not univocal ) attention is on the work of artists coming from Genova and Lombardia, who are in this area.
The result of the research is the discovery of many important works by other art schools with a first analysis of the figurative properties of the XVII century in the province of Asti.
The Exhibit ( organized by the Savings Bank Foundation of Asti ) that will be opened in April 2014, is a dossier show set-up between the Hall of Honor of the noble floor and the rooms of the east wing at the low ground.
The target is the introduction of a remarkable selection of paintings, engravings and textiles that are full of artistic and historical meaning. These works are been discovered during the research made by a study team of the University of Turin on the present province of Asti; they are been restored with the contribution of the Savings Bank Foundation of Asti.
The area of the province of Asti in its present form shows an elaborate stratification of political and administrative authorities, that interact with the irregular figurative reality of the modern age and the XVII century ( still to explore ).
The interpretation of a complex artistic and administrative geography is one of the points in-depth analysis of the exhibition and of the catalog: starting with the present map of the province it will be stressed the twist of the dioceses and of the political authorities in order to pay particular attention to the city of Asti. This work is made thanks to the XVII century view of Theatrum Sabaudiae (1682); it paints an housing estate full of churches and monasteries, that has been deeply changed by the passage of time.
A precise tutorial set-up will help us to visualize ( thanks to the map of Asti of 1682 ) the unbelievable wealth of religious buildings that there are no more because of the complex historical events explained in the exhibit and in the catalog.
In the Hall of Honor, at the noble floor, we will show a few paintings that will describe the heterogeneous wealth of the figurative culture in Asti during the XVII century among local artists or painters coming from other regions closely related to specific patrons.
You could admire totally unknown paintings, that are of great importance for the history of art of our region.
First of all the huge altar piece depicting Madonna del Rosario, once placed into the lost church of Domenicani della Maddalena ( now in S. Paolo ); an important painting for the history of the Flamish artistic culture in North Italy at the end of the XVI century. It is probably a model for many works that are scattered between Asti and Alessandria.
Beata Vergine d’Oropa with Saint Elena, Saint Eusebio and the portrait of Giacomo Goria ( bishop of Vercelli who was born in Villafranca ) is an extraordinary work coming from Rome; it was painted around 1650 by Pietro Paolini ( from Lucca ).
In the room that is dedicated to the artists coming from Lombardia, for the first time the visitors (after an altar piece by Camillo Procaccini depicting The Baptism of Jesus Christ at the Cathedral of Asti) will see the painting San Secondo a cavallo coming from Villanova; it is a wonderful original iconography of the patron saint of Asti.
For the section dedicated to the painters coming from Genova, the magnificent paintings by Giovanni Battista Carlone ( from Incisa Scapaccino ) will return to Palazzo Mazzetti after the restoration, in 2000, with the subsidy of the Savings Bank Foundation of Asti.
The catalog of the exhibition, developed by Maria Beatrice Failla, Alessandro Morandotti, Andrea Rocco and Gelsomina Spione, is published by Sagep.
Hours of opening
From Tuesday to Sunday, 10:30 -19:30 ( last entrance 18:30 ).
Week-end: always open
Monday: closed ( except 21 April 2014 and 2 June 2014 )
€ 5 full price
€ 3 reduced price ( groups, under 18 and over 65, schools and owners of specific agreements )
Free ( under 6, a chaperon for each group, 2 teachers for each class, disableds with a chaperon, tourist guides, journalist with pass ).
Free entry for owners of season ticket Torino Musei, Torino + Piemonte Card, Torino + Piemonte Card Junior.
Groups from 10 to 15 persons : € 5 par head ( inclusive of entry and guided tour )
Groups with less than 10 persons: € 5 entry to the museum ( par head ) + € 5 guided tour (par head )
Necessary reservation (Tel. 0141 530403 – e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org)
The ticket for the civic museum and for the civic collection of paintings allows free admission to the exhibition and to Palazzo Ottolenghi
tel. +39 0141.530403
e-mail email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com